Here's how to make a cute little beach hut secret message holder.
You can write a message to your friend then hang it somewhere they will find it. They might even write a message back to you!
You will need:
- 2 buttons.
- Felt about 15cm by 5cm ish.
- Cloth for the door shaped pocket.
- Card, about 15cm by 5cm ish.
- A scrap of green felt.
- Your choice of thread.
- Pinking shears if you have them.
- A needle and a few pins.
Cut out the shapes you will need.
- Cut the card in to a beach hut shape and pin it to the felt. Cut around the felt a bit bigger than the card.
- Cut out the door shape to the size you want it.
- Pink with your pinking shears across the top and bottom of the door. Keep the little strips you cut off on one side. They will come in handy later on.
- Cut the green scrap of felt so that it looks like a tuft of grass.
Check out the GETTING STARTED post at the top right of the blog if you aren't sure how to sew.
- Sew one button on to the door shape for a handle.
- Sew the other button on to the top of the hut, catching the string ends behind it.
Here's what it looks like when you catch the string ends behind it.
- Pin the door shape on to the hut. Sew around the edge with back stitch.
- Pin the hut shaped card to the back of the felt hut.
- Get the little pinked strips you put on one side earlier and your grass shape ready.
- Turn the hut the right way over.
- Sew the little strips to the roof with running stitch like in the picture below. As you sew, catch the card in your stitches as you go along, so that you are sewing the card on to the back.
- Running stitch around the hut, you can make your stitches quite big.
- When you've sewn along the bottom of the grass you can lift it up and sew underneath if you like. See the picture below. I thought this looked nice but you don't have to do this.
- Keep sewing until the card is sewn on all the way around the hut.
- Write a fun note to your friend and hang it where they will find it. Leave them some room on the paper and a pencil to encourage them to write back!