I found a stranded starfish on the beach this morning while I was out walking Hopper. It wasn't alive when we found it, hopefully it died of old age surrounded by grandchildren starfish and then just washed ashore. It was quite a big one.
I thought I'd make a starfish stuffie to remember the stranded starfish by.
You will need:
- Felt, I chose this colour as it was the colour of the starfish I found, you can use any colour.
- Thread to match.
- Pins and a needle.
- Teeny beads.
- Stuffing or cotton wool.
- Paper and a pen or pencil.
Let's make a starfish!
- Have a go at drawing starfish on your paper. It took me a while to get a picture I liked, try googling starfish images if you need ideas.
- The drawing will be your paper pattern for the stuffie so try not to make it very small as sewing very small things is really hard!
- When you have a shape that you like, cut it out of the paper and draw around it on two layers of felt.
- Put a few pins in through both layers of felt and cut around your lines.
- Take the top layer of felt and sew teeny beads along the middle of your starfish legs.
- Pin the two layers together again and overstitch around the edges
- Leave one side of one leg unsewn so you can stuff in the stuffin!
- Poke in tiny bits of stuffing through the hole you left. Use a pencil or something pointy to get it in to the narrow ends of the legs.
- When you have enough stuffing in, sew up the hole.
You're done! I have my starfish on the window ledge, leaning on a pebble.
Maybe we can make a different sea creature next week!