My friend Miss Topper is visiting this week and she asked me how to make a lavender heart. We've used rosemary in ours but you could use lavender or any other nice smelling thing.
You will need:
- Scissors, pinking shears if you have them,
- Lavender or some other filling, you could just use cotton wool or scraps of material,
- Needle and thread,
- Ribbon or string,
- A pen or pencil,
- Heart material, two squares one for each side.
- Draw a heart shape on to your fabric. If you'd like to decorate your heart with buttons or beads now is the time.
- Put the two heart material squares together, patterned or decorated sides facing out.
- Pin them together.
- Put your length of string or ribbon between the two layers of heart making sure the ends go well in to the middle of the heart.
- Use a blob of glue to secure them to the back piece so they don't move around.
- Sew around the line you drew with small back stitch, leaving about 3cm open. Check the GETTING STARTED post if you don't know how to sew.
- Get you filling and stuff it in through the opening. I had to snip the corner off a bit so I could reach inside. Don't stuff it so much that it loses it's shape!
- Sew up the opening.
- Cut around the shape with pinking shears if you have them. Cut the part next to the string carefully and one layer at a time so you don't accidentally chop through the string.
Here's one made by Miss Topper:
Great huh? See you next Tuesday!